Cooper had his 4 month check-up on Monday and the doctor gave him the okay to start rice cereal. After only a few bites, I saw the wisdom in Cody's advice to put him in the Bumbo and strip him down to his diaper. The first half of the cereal did not end up in Cooper's mouth; instead, it was all over his chin, chest, legs, hands, and arms. Eventually, he began to catch on and would suck the spoon. I could tell when he swallowed some because he would give me a look of shock. After feeding him there was no choice but to give him a bath. The title of this post is "Woman Seeking Advice" because I am looking for any advice you could give me on the topic of feeding baby solids. Cooper is taking the cereal well, but I figured that I could learn from your experiences. So, let me know what advice you have for me.
On a separate note, Cooper is 50% for head and 85% for weight and height. The doctor said he looks very healthy and is progressing very well. Also, if you noticed from the picture above, I chopped my hair last week. What do you think?

17 comments:
The joys and fun of eating solids. Definitely takes longer then nursing and is a lot messier. I have to be very patient, Bekah takes like 45 mins to eat a jar of baby food. Sounds like you are doing great. I love your new haircut it is very cute. Glade all went well with the dr. appointment. I love those bath pictures of Cooper, they're cute.
YOUR HAIR IS SO FREAKIN' CUTE!! I noticed it first thing! I wish I was brave enough to chop mine, but I highly doubt it would go with my face. Anyhoo...it sounds like you are doing a good job! The first few weeks of giving Allie cereal I felt like I was wasting it, because more ended up ON her then IN her. Oh the things we new mothers learn! Once you can make it thicker it gets so much easier!
I seriously love the hair!! Oh...one thing of advice. If you try a solid that Cooper doesn't like, don't give up on it. Often the first time you try something they won't like it and the next time they will. In fact, Marley is STILL like that.
Your hair is darling, Definitely a good choice, I like you with short hair!! How fun, I still can't get over the fact you have a baby!
No advice from me :).... we haven't seen each other in forever! I love the haircut, we need to get together!
From a blog stalker: That is pretty much par for the course when it comes to feeding solids. The best and simplest thing I figured out was that bibs are not good for anything! So take an old hand towel and cut a slit it in. They are huge, hold all the mess, and when you take it off the food stays on the towel and does not get on baby. You hair is way cute.
Hey Claire! I haven't seen you in forever and I obviously don't have advice for ya in the baby department yet, but I love the new hair and wanted to say hi since I found your blog!
I love the hair! It looks very cute, not to mention I can't get over how cute your boy is! I can't wait to meet him in person. You are doing a great job.
I think I'm ill-qualified to comment on the solid foods; it may have been you and Ben to whom I last fed baby food.
Your hair looks cute; is it me, or is it longer in the front than back? I'm red again - yeah, no more roots!
Thanks for putting Cooper on Skype last week; you'll have to do it again, since it's two more months before I'm home. LY! :-)
Unfortunately I can offer no advice for solid food eating, but...I live your hair!!!
Sorry, I meant to say I Love your hair!
claire...you've got 12 comments already!!! OMGZ! lol!
fox...we gave up on clothes. seriously. when the doc gave me the a-ok for solids, i was like 'what?! huh?!'. fox didn't like it when the rice cereal was runny (even though we can't make it thick in the early stages!). seriously, it took an hour to feed him a measly bowl of rice cereal. i would nurse him, then feed him the rice cereal. my other friend did the reverse and that worked better! are you doing babywise for cooper?
and you've got the fever! that's about the same time i got my mommy hair! lol! you're cute claire. you're always cute!!! i bet you love it since you dont have to put oouldes of product or anything into it! i found (hahaha!) that when i skip washing my hair three days (gross i know) i dab some baby powder in my hair and it soaks up the grease and ickies and it works! yay!
Cute hair- I love it! Not sure about the advice thing, both my boys were completely different. Let me know if you figure it out!!!
so proud of you for sticking to babywise, claire!!! it truely does pay off. fox usually wakes up at eight! it's SO NICE! i put him down around eight or nine pm. i honestly do try earlier but things seems to wind up as the day gets longer! the only thing i dont like is that fox is so on his routine that when we go to chruch, he isn't one of those babies who sleeps through it...argh!
i forgot to mention that we gave fox a spoon or baby fork to play with when we fed him. not until he was closer to six months when he had better motor skills though. he liked having food on the spoon and 'feeding himself'.
is cooper a fast eater? he's doing tummy time right? i always felt bad about that with Fox because he hated it. :)
Just enjoy the mess. By the time your kids stop making a mess, it will probably be time for grandkids. (ok, teenagers don't drool their rice cereal anymore, but they're messy nonetheless.)
You've got a cute cute baby.
Burn Notice is a show on the USA channel on cable. I was hooked last year when Fox was born. I have nothing better to do than watch tv when I was nursing (literally, it took him 20 minutes EACH side) and got hooked. It's about a spy who someone gets a "burn notice" saying well dude you're not a spy anymore! So the whole series he tries to figure out who burned him and how he can clear his name. epsidoes are FREE and online.
http://www.usanetwork.com/series/burnnotice/
Post a Comment