The Lake Powell Triathlon

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Jed (my Father-in-law), Cody and I competed in the Lake Powell Triathlon on Saturday, October 17th. Below are pictures and a break down of each leg of the race.
Swim
The lake water was about 65 degrees so wet-suits were "highly recommended". I borrowed Sydney's surfing wet-suit which was very nice, but if anyone is considering doing a triathlon, I would highly recommend getting a triathlon suit. After the countdown and the horn, we all took off. Within seconds I couldn't breathe. I thought this must be due to the cold water and the excitement so I turned onto my back and did the backstroke until I got my breathing under control. When I turned back over to do freestyle, I couldn't catch my breath again. I realized that I had not practiced enough with the suit and it was too tight around my chest and neck so I couldn't breathe. I ended up doing backstroke the entire 750 meter swim.
18:26, 4th place in my division

The Trio

My Father-in-law

Cody's right in the middle

I'm right in the middle...in the pink swim cap.

Bike
After we got done with the swim, we had to run up the boat ramp and then about another 100 meters to the transition area. Removing a wet wet-suit is difficult, but try doing it when you are in a rush. Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed the biking except for the one really long and really steep hill. Thank you Katie for letting me borrow your amazing bike. I passed Cody around mile 4 or 5. I was so glad because Cody did not even train for this and if he beat me, I was going to be really mad. My average bike speed was 16 mph over the 12 miles.
44:36, 4th place in my division

Jed

Cody

Me, I know, cool helmet, huh!

Run
When I got off the bike, my toes were completely numb. I began my run and could not gauge at all how fast or slow I was going. Because we weren't allowed to use our ipods (meaning my Nike+) I couldn't even figure out how far I had gone. I decided to concentrate on passing as many people as I could. The nice thing about this run was that the first half was a slow incline and at the half way point, we turned around and ran downhill. This was a 3.1 mile run.
23:09, 1st place in my division

Cody & I enjoying being done.

My bling...1st place overall in my division (25-29 year olds)

Thanks Kristi for supporting us!

Our "After" picture

10 comments:

Powell Family said...

So what you're saying is that you pretty much kicked butt! I'm so excited for you Claire! You, my dear, are amazing! I can't wait to hear more details!

Powell Family said...

Oh yeah, and good job to you too Cody!! :)

Cynthia said...

Wow, what an cool event.
There's one phrase you wrote that I just simply don't understand " . . Cody did not even train for this . . " seriously? that's crazy!

Nursemelanie said...

Claire, how awesome!!! fast mama you are :) Good job Cody and Jed as well ;)

Nursemelanie said...

p.s. It was a little hard to find you in the swimming pic, because EVERYONE was wearing pink swim caps ;)

Jen and Ty said...

You are amazing Claire. I want to be more like you. After this baby comes I think that is going to be my new #1 goal...be like Claire. I can't imagine doing what you did in the times you did (just running a 5k alone in 23 minutes would be an accomplishment for me!). Can't wait to see you next week!

Lincoln and Anna said...

Claire,
that is AWESOME...
p.s.
love the pic w/ the bike helmet :)

Natalie said...

That's awesome! Congrats on the bling. I expect you to wear it at the next friend get together. ;)

Melissa said...

Cool! I am just now reading this for the first time, and I didn't know you did a triathlon! I did one too a few weeks ago, but you are way faster! I would have HATED that cold water. Congrats on first!

james n mary said...

umm...i only go to powell for houseboating lady - not triathlons! good for you!!! my friend did the marathon at st. george. she's trying/tried for the boston marathon! you two might be fast friends!

stink about the wetsuit!